PLAN AN UNFORGETTABLE COSTA RICA HONEYMOON WITH YOUR NEW SPOUSE.
You’re tying the knot and ready to enter life as a newly married couple!
After a beautiful (yet stressful) wedding, we promise you’ll be itching to escape everyday life and retreat to a paradise for an unforgettable time with your partner. When a need for adventure and relaxation calls, Costa Rica will answer.
Planning a Costa Rica honeymoon is the best way to have diverse scenery and experiences in one stunning country. From lounging on tropical beaches to ziplining over rainforest canopies, you will find endless ways to bond with your new spouse.
But with so many options available, prioritizing your Pura Vida activities can be overwhelming. When any honeymoon indecision hits, we are here to help.
Here is everything you need to know about planning a Costa Rica honeymoon!
Why a Costa Rica Honeymoon?
Your Costa Rica honeymoon can be whatever you want it to be. You can find upscale resorts with fine dining and total relaxation, or unique adventures and accommodations on a budget. You can find a vacation full of dancing, late nights, and new friends. Or, enjoy a mix of everything. Costa Rica isn’t just for one type of traveler – no matter what kind of honeymoon you’re planning, our country can deliver and then some.
There is diversity in the areas to explore. If you’re discussing whether you want a mountain, city, or tropical beach honeymoon, Costa Rica is the ultimate compromise. Plan for a few days of everything!
Costa Rica is reasonably affordable compared to other upscale beach destinations. While you shouldn’t expect to pay much less than in the States, you won’t need to spend as much on a tropical beach vacation as you would in other upscale areas. On top of that, flights to Costa Rica tend to be cheaper than rival destinations like Hawaii, the Maldives, or Bali.
You will meet so many lovely people. Pura Vida is a lifestyle, and spending time in this beautiful country will grant you access to some of the nicest people you could meet. From staff members to tour guides to fellow travelers, you will revel in positive energy and happiness.
There are endless unique activities and experiences to try. Just try to fit it all in one trip – we dare you! You could plan a Costa Rica honeymoon every year of your marriage and still not experience everything this country offers.
Costa Rica Honeymoon FAQs
How Much Does a Costa Rica Honeymoon Cost?
The cost of planning a honeymoon in Costa Rica can vary depending on the duration of your stay, accommodation type, activities and attractions, and travel preferences. Between accommodations, activities, food, transportation, experiences, and souvenirs, couples can expect to pay between $3,000-$6,000 for a two-week honeymoon, not including flights.
How Long Should My Costa Rica Honeymoon Last?
Your honeymoon should be as long as you can make it! While any amount of time in Costa Rica will be a fantastic experience, we recommend budgeting about two weeks to explore the entirety of our country. But no matter how much time you spend here, you will need more!
Is Costa Rica Safe?
Costa Rica’s leading economy is tourism, and it cares greatly about the visitors that spend time here. If you stay in touristy areas and follow general travel best practices, you will feel safe exploring and relaxing in our country.
What Month is Best for a Costa Rica Honeymoon?
The best month for a Costa Rica honeymoon depends on the weather you prefer. Visit in December to April for drier weather and outdoor activities, or May to November if you enjoy lush landscapes, lower prices, and don’t mind occasional showers.
What is Costa Rica Known For?
Costa Rica has a world-renowned reputation for natural beauty, thanks to our country’s lush rainforests, pristine beaches, diverse wildlife, and commitment to environmental conservation and sustainable tourism. Costa Rica is also known for its adventure activities, such as ziplining, surfing, and exploring volcanoes and cloud forests.
Tips For Planning a Costa Rica Honeymoon
- Don’t stay in one place too long. You are in one of the most stunning countries in the world, with a diverse array of ecosystems, views, experiences, and activities at your fingertips. Don’t spend the entire trip in one spot! From giant volcanoes to pristine beaches to buzzing rainforests and more, planning a few days in each area will create a unique and action-packed honeymoon.
- Plan to pay similar prices to what you would pay in the USA. Don’t expect prices to vary too far from what you’d pay for accommodations, food, and experiences in the States. Costa Rica is no longer considered a cheap option, but you’ll still get a lot for your money.
- Bring bug spray. One of the beautiful parts of this country is how close you can get to nature – but that does go both ways. Wildlife can get to you too! Especially in the rainforest, wear bug spray and expect to see some six and eight-legged friends.
- Take advantage of honeymoon packages. Many accommodations are ready to bend backward to create a completely unforgettable Costa Rica honeymoon experience. They can do all the planning for you, so you only need to enjoy the moment as newlyweds.
- Consider a car rental. Since you’re casting a wide net for your Costa Rica activities, having a car can be the best dependable mode of transportation. It’s one of many ways to get around, but it can be the most straightforward way to travel once in Costa Rica.
- When in doubt, book an organized tour. From hiking tours to kayak excursions to bike tours and more, many organized tours offer a much richer and more memorable experience than you could create on your own. Support local tour guides and companies while having the time of your life!
What To Do On Your Honeymoon in Costa Rica
The beauty of Costa Rica is all of the exciting, beautiful, and unforgettable activities and experiences you can find. Curious about what you can try on your Costa Rica honeymoon? These are just a few ways you can fill your Pura Vida days.
- Explore Beaches – There are hundreds of beaches to explore on the Caribbean and Central Pacific Coast.
- Rainforest Tours – The most classic activities to include in your Costa Rica honeymoon are adventures in the rainforest and cloud forest. See cute animals, walk among the trees, and explore the bridges, lush foliage, waterfalls, and vines.
- Volcanos – If you’ve never had a chance to see a giant volcano, Costa Rica is your shot. You can explore and kayak at the base of Arenal Volcano, one of five active volcanoes in the country.
- River Adventures – The sights you take in from the river are unparalleled. You can enter the most remote parts of the country for front-row views of wildlife and the energy of the rainforest. Costa Rican river trips range from slow and calm floats to exciting adventures across big rapids. The style of the raft trip is up to you!
- Ziplining – One of the most classic Costa Rica honeymoon activities is ziplining over the rainforest treetops. This is a safe way to get an adrenaline rush and amazing views with your spouse.
- Visit Towns – Some of the best memories you’ll make are sipping a cold drink on a cute patio with the love of your life. The formal activities will be great, but moments like these, simply exploring the restaurants and places to kick back with a snack, are precious.
Where To Stay For Your Costa Rica Honeymoon
We recommend a mix of relaxation in a luxury resort and a unique eco lodge experience to set your honeymoon apart from other beach vacations.
Costa Rica Eco Lodges
A Costa Rica eco lodge is an exceptional way to enjoy Costa Rica. Eco lodges can get you closer to the natural beauty of the forest and the coast with the smallest environmental impact possible. Enjoy gourmet food, comfortable accommodations, and unforgettable experiences knowing you are choosing an ethical way to travel. Many also offer fabulous honeymoon packages!
Popular Costa Rica Eco Lodges:
If you truly want to escape the tourist lifestyle and play house in Costa Rica, a vacation rental may be your best choice. You may have fewer amenities and less regulation around cleanliness, but many options will offer an attractive way to immerse yourself in the Pura Vida lifestyle.
Popular Vacation Rentals:
Luxury Resorts and Lodges
A luxury, all-inclusive resort is popular for couples who want to splurge on convenience. These resorts are usually found in beautiful areas prepped to handle large amounts of tourists. These resorts have excellent restaurants, luxurious pools, and an attentive staff to help you plan your trip.
Popular Luxury Resorts and Lodges:
Example Costa Rica Honeymoon Itineraries
Every Costa Rica honeymoon should have a little bit of everything – here are two example Costa Rica honeymoon itineraries that can help you get started on planning your adventure with your partner.
Best Eco Lodge Costa Rica Honeymoon Itinerary Flying into Liberia
Morning in Liberia
See: The city
Do: Head to your first adventure!
Day 1-3 at Rincón de la Vieja Volcano
Stay: Buena Vista Del Rincón
See: El Saino Nature Reserve, Los Higuerones Hanging Bridges, Rincón de la Vieja Volcano
Do: Waterfall hikes, nature walks, bird watching, horseback riding, mud baths
Day 4-6 at a Guanacaste Beach Resort
Stay: Ride On! Beach House
See: Pristine beaches, great waves for beginners, cute shops, and restaurants
Do: Explore beaches, yoga classes, surf lessons
Day 7-9 at a Pacuare River Eco Lodge
Stay: Rios Lodge
See: Rainforest, riverfront views
Do: Rainforest tours, whitewater rafting, zipline, enjoy eco lodge lifestyle
Day 10-13 at a Tortuguero Eco Lodge
Stay: Mawamba Lodge
See: Sea Turtle Conservancy, Casa Cecropia for chocolate tours, Parque Nacional Tortuguero
Do: Explore beaches, kayak, view wildlife, boat tours, turtle tours
Luxury Resort Costa Rica Honeymoon Itinerary Flying into San Jose
Day 1 in San Jose
Stay: Hotel Valencia
See: The city
Do: Explore neighborhoods, admire the architecture, visit award-winning restaurants, enjoy a luxury cocktail to kick off your honeymoon
Day 2-4 at Arenal Volcano
Stay: Arenal Manoa
See: Volcán Arenal, Arenal hanging bridges, Lake Arenal
Do: Hike in the cloud forest, kayak, soak in natural hot springs, sunset cocktail hour
Day 5-7 at a Pacuare River Eco Lodge
Stay: The Pacuare Lodge
See: Rainforest, riverfront views
Do: Rainforest tours, birdwatching, whitewater rafting, spa treatments
Day 8-13 at a Manzanillo Beach Resort
Stay: Almonds and Corals Hotel
See: Playa Grande, Jaguar Rescue Center, Playa Punta Uva, Manzanillo shipwreck
Do: Explore beaches, visit shipwrecks, animal refuge tours, see nature observatory, surf lessons
These are just two ways to make the most of your Costa Rica honeymoon, but the opportunities are endless.
If you want to find an adventure with your newlywed as you kick off a new life together, we can save you a seat on a raft powered by the swift energy of the Pacuare River. Check out our Costa Rica Honeymoon Packages to book your riverfront suite for a memorable experience in the heart of the rainforest.