to the Pacuare River, Jewel of Costa Rica
Rios Lodge Welcomes You
The Rios Lodge, (formerly the Rios Tropicales Lodge) nestled on the banks of the Pacuare River, is the perfect escape from your everyday modern routine. Here you are surrounded by the beauty and splendor of Costa Rica’s tropical rainforest, all while enjoying comfortable rooms overlooking the river, private baths, in-room electricity, lighted walkways at night, and sumptuous tropical meals and beverages, including our signature Sangria and robust Costa Rican coffee. Sustainably built using reclaimed wood and totally off the grid with hydroelectric power, our ecolodge is an award-winning model of positive ecotourism. This is the official, authorized website page for the former Rios Tropicales Lodge. An all new website is coming soon!
Raft In or Hike In Only
How to Get to Rios Lodge
Getting here is an adventure! The Rios Lodge is on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, on a private rainforest reserve of 1,000 hectares in Limon Province. The lodge is beside the Pacuare River, at the entrance to the renowned whitewater rapids of Pacuare Gorge.
- Raft In: Enjoy the lodge and white water rafting on the stunning Pacuare River. Stay for 1 night or 4, and raft out on your last day through Pacuare Gorge. We work with an expert preferred partner for rafting trips.
- Hike In: Hike into the lodge if white water rafting isn’t your thing. It’s a mile hike down to the Pacuare River from the community of El Tigre on a well-maintained rainforest trail. Secure, private parking is available. You’ll hike in with your backpack of just what you need for your stay at the lodge. The elevation drop is about 800 feet or 245 meters from El Tigre to the lodge. The hike takes 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how many times you stop to take pictures!
Immersed in Nature
What’s a Stay at Rios Lodge Like?
A stay here at Rios Lodge is a chance to reconnect with yourself and the healing power of nature. Do yoga on the deck facing the river, hike miles of trails and soak in numerous waterfalls and pools, bag your tropical bird list with exquisite birdwatching, or chill out in our hammocks.
Hang out with friends and family in open-air dining pavilion and lounge deck and
enjoy cocktails overlooking the river, while you watch brightly colored toucans fly across the river and chat it up high up in the canopy. Sip your coffee and listen to howler monkeys getting ready for their day. Magical!
- Breakfast, lunch, cocktails, dinner.
- Lodging room with amenities
- Fresh linens and towels are provided.
- Rafting, Guide, Gear – if you book a rafting package.
- Secure parking area for hikers if arriving by personal vehicle.
- Rooms with private baths for Single, double and triple occupancy.
- Twin, double, and king beds are available
- Stone tiled, walk in showers with multi-purpose, bio-degradable liquid soap for body and hair
What’s Not Included:
- Transportation to/from the Lodge (can be arranged)
- Shuttles to/from San Jose International Airport
- Guide Tips
- Activity Add-ons: Canyoning, Canopy Zipline Tour, Horseback riding – available to book separately.
More Activities & Lodge Expansion
COMING THIS SUMMER & IN 2023
The Rios Lodge, nestled on the banks of the Pacuare River, is the perfect escape from your everyday modern routine. Here you are surrounded by the beauty and splendor of Costa Rica’s tropical rainforest, all while enjoying comfortable rooms overlooking the river, private baths, in-room electricity, lighted walkways at night, and sumptuous tropical meals and beverages, including our signature Sangria and robust Costa Rican coffee. Sustainably built using reclaimed wood and totally off the grid with hydroelectric power, our ecolodge is an award-winning model of positive ecotourism.
Butterfly Garden & Cafe - 2022
Canopy Zipline Tour - 2022
Horseback Riding - 2022
Tree-Planting - 2022
Birdwatching - 2023
Photography Workshops - 2023
Yoga Retreats - 2023
COMING IN 2023 - Lodge Expansion and Upgrades
- All new expanded kitchen, menu and on-site chef.
- Deluxe yoga center / retreat area overlooking the current lodge with 8 deluxe rooms.
- WIFI in the common areas: You can still choose to go “off the grid entirely, but we know many of us really need to be just a little connected in order to get away longer. (We’re working hard to get this up in 2022- stay tuned.)
- All new private groups center with its own dining area, full kitchen, open air covered meeting space, and availability for up to 60 guests. We are thrilled to be able to serve local and international university, research, non-profit and youth groups. Under construction!
A Beautiful Legacy
The Rios Lodge is the former Rios Tropicales Lodge, established in 1989, 4 years after the company’s founding in 1985. It is the Pacuare River’s original river eco lodge. The lodge and surrounding rainforest property (over 270 acres) on the banks of the Pacuare River in Limon, Costa Rica, was purchased in winter 2022 by a group of conservation-minded paddlers and investors from Costa Rica and the United States. The lodge has been renamed Rios Lodge, LLC. We seek to both continue, and expand on, the ecotourism and conservation legacy of Rios Tropicales and its co-founder Rafael “Rafa” Gallo. This is the official, authorized website page for the former Rios Tropicales Lodge. An all new website is coming soon!
The Rios Lodge LLC partners have hired Roberto Gallo (Rafa’s son)
as the General Manager of the lodge and rainforest conservation property in Costa Rica. Each of the Rios Lodge founding partners have over 3 decades of experience in ecotourism and prioritize conservation and responsible stewardship of people, place, and planet.
Our goals are:
- To serve our adventure guests with a world class rainforest eco lodge experience in the Pacuare Canyon.
- To collaborate with nearby Costa Rica indigenous and non-indigenous communities in sustainable ecotourism through entrepreneurship, employment, and conservation projects.
- To support scientific research on rainforest biodiversity, reforestation, and ecosystems
- To improve and conserve the lodge property and primary and secondary rainforest properties for future generations – thereby honoring the conservation legacy of Rafael Gallo, co-founder of Rios Tropicales.
RAFA - Rivers and Forests Alliance Partnership
Sustainability IS the Way
The Rios Lodge is working with the Rivers and Forests Alliance (RAFA) to expand conservation partnerships and projects in the Pacuare River Basin. We are currently working to support existing science projects in the primary rainforest properties, help reforest secondary rainforest pasture land, and develop biodiversity metrics to steward the long term conservation legacy that Rafa Gallo originated in the Pacuare River watershed.